Updated versions of the CanadaGAP Food Safety Manuals have now been released.
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Manual, Version 0
- Greenhouse Product Manual, Version 8.0
For certification purposes, the new manuals will take effect on April 1, 2020. A corresponding update to the CanadaGAP audit checklist will be issued before that date.
Resources on the CanadaGAP Website
To help with the transition, the following resources can be found on the CanadaGAP website.
- Updated manuals (free download)
- Document outlining the main changes to the manuals
- Revisions documents tracking the changes from previous versions of the manuals
- Document summarizing commodity-specific differences
- Chart outlining which sections of the manual are applicable to different types of operations (i., production, packing, storing, repacking, wholesaling, brokerage)
- PowerPoint presentation on the main changes
New for 2020: A fillable PDF version of the CanadaGAP manuals is also available to download from the website, in the chart on the Manual Download webpage. This fillable PDF allows operations to complete the manual electronically each year. Please note this PDF does not include the forms (electronic versions of the forms in Excel are also available in the chart).
What are some of the main changes?
- Scope: Microgreens and aquaponically grown product are no longer included in the scope of the CanadaGAP program
- Section 6/15: New requirements added for post-harvest applications of agricultural chemicals
- Section 17/22: New requirements for Lot Code (as outlined in the Safe Food For Canadians Regulations)
- Section 15/19: New subsection for “Other Materials” (see glossary definition for details)
- Section 19: New subsection for Environmental Monitoring Program (including a relevant Appendix with guidance)
- Section 23: New subsection for Food Safety Culture
The list above is not exhaustive; operations should refer to the revisions documents and main changes document found on the CanadaGAP website. Due to the fact that the CanadaGAP manuals have not been updated for 2 years, there are a number of changes for Version 8.0. Changes have been made based on user requests, to account for new science, to align with changes in government regulations and the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), as well as to clarify interpretation of existing requirements.
In the coming weeks, you will be receiving a detailed communication explaining how to update your manual. CanadaGAP maintains seven separate generic HACCP models, which are available to members on the CanadaGAP website.
If you have any questions, write to us at email@example.com or give us a call at 613-829-4711.