CanadaGAP® is now accepting nominations for candidates to serve on the Board of Directors for CanAgPlus, the not-for-profit corporation that owns and operates the CanadaGAP Program.
CanAgPlus relies on volunteer leaders to guide decision making and oversee management of CanadaGAP. Participation on the Board of Directors affords volunteer leaders the opportunity for personal growth and satisfaction in moving the program forward and improving food safety in the fresh produce industry.
CanAgPlus directors will be elected by members (i.e., those who are enrolled in the CanadaGAP Program) at the 2019 Annual General Meeting. See http://www.canadagap.ca/events/annual-general-meeting/ for further information.
Composition of the Board of Directors
CanAgPlus is currently seeking nominations for four (4) directors to the Board.
The Board is comprised of 8 directors in total, serving two-year rotating terms to ensure some continuity in membership.
A recommended slate of nominees will be prepared in advance of the AGM for circulation to members, and presented for vote at the AGM. In accordance with provisions in the corporate by-law, and subject to applicable rules of order during meetings of members, nominations may also be made by ordinary resolution at the AGM.
Criteria for Directors
Candidates are expected to have a strong interest in the delivery, integrity and objectives of the CanadaGAP Program. Criteria for service on the Board of Directors include:
- Exhibit ability to communicate interpersonally, provide facilitative leadership, and enforce group discipline on board processes.
- Strong understanding and experience with the appropriate roles, group processes and corporate bylaws and policies that form systems of corporate governance.
- Demonstrated judgment and integrity in an oversight role.
Consideration will be given to volunteers with experience serving on a not-for-profit Board or governance committee or senior level experience working with other Boards. Experience and skills in the following areas will be considered assets:
- Good working knowledge of CanadaGAP – its functioning, goals, evolution, etc.
- Familiarity with administrative and management processes, rather than technical knowledge
- Personnel management experience
- Financial management experience
- Knowledge of international food safety context
Directors need NOT be CanadaGAP program participants.
Term of Office
Directors will serve a two-year term. The Board meets twice a year in person, and holds conference calls as needed.
How to Apply
Those interested in serving on the Board of Directors must complete and submit the application form by August 30, 2019. Self-nominations are acceptable.
General Operating By-law No. 1
The by-law is available for download at: https://www.canadagap.ca/history/members-only/
If you are not a member of CanAgPlus, but interested in serving on the Board, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-829-4711 to obtain a copy of the by-law.